Voice of the Arctic Iñupiat was formed in 2015 as a 501 (c)4 nonprofit corporation, creating a communication network amongst Arctic Slope region communities to establish a unified voice for our people. Today, our twenty member organizations work together to ensure that our collective voice is heard and respected – locally, regionally and nationally.
- Provide local advocacy and engagement for the Iñupiat of the Arctic Slope to state, federal and international forums addressing Arctic issues.
- Promote an understanding of the North Slope economy within the region and encourage culturally responsible development for economic sustainability.
- Develop local content and responses with respect to activities within our region that allow for protection of our land, waters and subsistence resources.
- Become the local knowledge center for our communities and people regarding developments in the Arctic Slope region.
- Act to protect the interests of Arctic Slope Iñupiat.
- Be a conduit for information transfer with outside organizations, including both governmental and non-governmental entities.
- Address and participate in legislation, regulations and government programs to protect Iñupiat culture.
- Increase communication and information-sharing amongst Iñupiat organizations of the North Slope.
- Ensure the development of North Slope natural resources in a safe and responsible manner.
- Promote Iñupiat stewardship of the North Slope and stimulate the North Slope economy.